Sex Crime FAQs

If you’re ready to hire a criminal law attorney, there are many ways of getting in touch:

Frequently Asked Sex Crime Questions

1. What is the difference between rape in the first degree and rape in the second degree?

Rape in the first degree refers to forced, non-consensual intercourse that is committed against the victim’s will. First-degree rape charges will also be filed against someone who has intercourse with a victim who cannot give consent because he or she is handicapped.

In addition, if a person 16 years or older engages in sexual intercourse with someone 12 years old or younger, it will be charged as rape in the first degree.

Rape in the second degree refers to a person 16 years or older engaging in sexual intercourse with a person between the ages of 12 and 16.

What penalties could I face if I’m found guilty?

The penalties will depend on the type of crime you have been accused of. For example, committing a misdemeanor offense, such as prostitution, will not warrant nearly as strict penalties as will committing a felony offense such as child pornography or sodomy.

That being said, the majority of the sex crimes in Alabama are punishable by large fines, incarceration in jail or prison, probation or parole, mandatory counseling, and registration as a sex offender, possibly for life.

What is the sex offender registry?

When a person is convicted of a serious sex crime, he or she may be ordered by the judge to register as a sex offender. All convicted sex offenders are required to register with the local law enforcement department in their neighborhood every year, and provide them with their name, address, and place of employment.

This information is collected from all known sex offenders and put in a registry, which is updated regularly and made available to the public. If you have been ordered to register as a sex offender, it is very important that you do not ignore this court order.

Failure to register is a separate criminal offense that warrants additional legal penalties.

4. What if I have been falsely accused? I don’t want to go to jail!

If you have been falsely accused of committing a sex crime, you are not alone. We believe that more innocent people go to jail because of false or fabricated sex crimes allegations than any other type of crime in the justice system. We have since made it our mission to help people accused of sex crimes in Alabama aggressively fight their charges because we believe in their innocence and their right to a fair trial!

Contact Alabama Criminal Lawyers today at (205) 981-2450 for a free consultation.