Federal & Alabama Court of Appeals

Nobody is perfect. Unfortunately, that includes judges, prosecutors and juries, who sometimes make legal mistakes or do things that violate your right to a fair trial. When that's the case, Alabama law gives you the right to appeal -- that is, ask a higher court to review the trial court's decision. You can also appeal your sentence, when you believe the decision was fair but the sentencing was not.

Steven Eversole aggressively represents people who have been falsely charged and convicted of a crime or drunk driving offense in the state of Alabama. At the Eversole Law Offices, we believe the right to appeal is an important safeguard protecting individual rights. We understand that trial courts make mistakes and that prosecutors sometimes trample individual rights in their haste to get a conviction. We handle all post-conviction appeals, including petitions for writs, such as a writ of habeas corpus.

State Appeals

If you were tried in a state court, you have the right to appeal your conviction or your sentence to the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals. Unfortunately, there's a tight deadline to notify the court that you intend to appeal; you have to act quickly to preserve your right to appeal. You can ask the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals to reconsider any criminal case, including felonies, misdemeanors local ordinance violations and post-conviction writs. If that court denies your appeal, you may petition the Supreme Court of Alabama to hear your case. If your case involves a question of federally protected rights, you can even petition the United States Supreme Court for review of the Alabama state decision.

Federal Appeals

If you were tried in a federal court, such as the U.S. District Court for the Northern, Middle or Southern Districts of Alabama, you can appeal your conviction or sentence to the Eleventh U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. That court hears appeals of all types of criminal cases and petitions for post-conviction writs. It is located in Atlanta, Georgia, but it's very unlikely that you'll have to appear there in person. Like the state appeals courts, the federal courts has a strict deadline to give notice of appeal; if you wait too long, you may not be able to appeal. And if the Eleventh Circuit declines to hear your case, you may petition the United States Supreme Court to review that decision.

Free Initial Consultation

At the Eversole Law Offices, we pride ourselves on our imaginative and aggressive criminal appeals representation. If you have been convicted of a crime in Alabama state or federal courts, you should contact an experienced Alabama criminal appeals lawyer as soon as possible. Contact our office for a free initial evaluation of your case.


Don't Hesitate To Contact Us Today

In criminal defense cases, timing is everything. Get in touch with one of our criminal defense attorneys today.